Celebrating Maori Language Week 2016
4 July – 10 July 2016
Te Reo Tautoko
Toku Reo Toku Hari! Toku Reo Toku Mana!
My language makes me happy! My language is who I am!
Let’s celebrate Maori Language Week 2016 by:
- Greeting everybody in Maori
- Saying “Kia ora!” when answering the phone
- Saying the name of your town in Maori and learning what it means
- Using Maori numbers when communicating prices and phone numbers
- Learning and singing He Raranga Tamariki:
«Kei hea toku kāinga?»
Kei hea te taniwha? – Kei te moana te taniwha!
Where is the taniwha? – The taniwha is in the sea!
Kei hea te moa? – Kei te whenua te moa!
Where is the moa? – The moa is on the land!
Kei hea te manu? – Kei te raki te manu!
Where is the bird? – The bird is in the sky!
Kei hea ahau? – Kei te kāinga ahau!
Where am I? – I am at home!